Hall GTC

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thursday night with the soldering gun

So Tuesday night we took out the gauge cluster to get a better look at the fuel selector switch. Of course the main harness hooks to pins directly on the PCB and with age broke off. (yet another custom fix needed). We set that aside for later and looked at the switch. Simple on-off-on 6 prong. at this point we called it a night. Sometimes you know to call it quits when the flow just isn't going right. Also since the wire harness was busted we could use the stock gauge to test for ohms resistance. I did find a wire diagram for the fuel selector.

Wednesday Night I brought over an extra fuel level gauge I had extra that was for GM 0ohms empty - 90ohms full. The dodge has 73ohms Empty 10ohms Full. So basicly +or- a little it'd read backwards and at least prove the senders were sending back something and not infinate resistance. The Aux tank was working showing about half a tank. The rear was also working showing almost empty(accounting for the incorrect ohms). We also confirmed what was what by disconnecting the rear sender wire and running the tests again. So in the end the stock gauge in the dash was either bad or the bad connections on the main harness was causing the issue. As for the Fuel selector itself the Power wire for the ignition was dead. I am guessing this hasn't worked since we got the motorhome. The good thing was once we suppled power you could hear the switch work. Nice thud sound.  So now I knew I needed to get the main gauge cluster wiring fixed and work out if I can find a correct 73 -0 ohm fuel gauge. That night looking online I found this.


$16 !! I figured no way .. Stopped by on my way home from work and sure enough they were $16 dollars and had a swap out warrenty. They didn't have them in stock but said they would be there by 8:00am Friday. So I bought 2 of them. Now I can see both fuel levels at the same time.

Tonight I worked on painting the aerostar brackets and fixing up the gauge cluster.







Thats all for now..

2 comments:

  1. I put an extra fuel gauge in the Cruiser too. Much nicer than how my dad's old truck was where you could only see the level of the tank you were using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice posting,excellent job keep it up
    We are making an extensive range of Automotive Switches and allied products for OEMs engaged in the manufacture of Two, Three and Four wheelers. The product range includes Steering Column Mounted Combination Switch, Power Window Switch, Power Seat Switch, Door Switch, Parking Brake Switch, Reverse Light Switch, Facia Switch, A/C Switch, Blower Switch, Head Lamp Leveling Switch and Hazard Warning Light Switch. For more details visit http://www.globalautomotive-industry.com/products-services/accessories/galactic-electric-private-limited/

    ReplyDelete