Hall GTC

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Well it's a Start!

 So I decided to start a blog about working on and the adventures in our Hall GTC. This is a very cool older (70's) class B van that was way ahead of it's time. They also apear to be very rare at this point. Infact when I first bought it the only thing related Google could find was 2 fourm posts and my own post on class B motor homes! Now there are several owners that have pooled any collected information and Nick @ Nicksgarage.com was very cool to make a web Page with all the information that has been found. http://www.hallgtc.com/. and if you happen to own one of these make sure to send him a picture so we can know how many of these are left.

 Anyways over 3 years ago my wife and I decided we wanted to get some sort of camping trailer or motorhome. We had borrowed my parents pleasure way a few times but really wanted our own so we could van camp with them. We looked at a lot different things.. We didn't have a big budget but knew we could fix up what ever we got but I also knew getting the best base we could afford would be key. My wife wanted something with a bathroom and kitchen. So one day I came across an ad for a Hall GTC. I though it looked pretty cool but worried it would almost be to big. I had never seen a van that tall. The plus side was at 6'2 I might be albe to stand in it and it looked to be pretty leak proof. My dad and I went to look at it and was really plesently suprised. All the major items worked or looked to only need some minor repair. It was very dated and the carpet was stained and pretty musty but at that price it could be updated and replaced. The biggest issue I walk off the lot with was I need to find out more about a Hall GTC.. Like I said there was nothing. I posted on class-b http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=859

-------------------------------------------

More info on this Class B? 1973 Hall

Postby Floydx » Thu May 08, 2008 9:44 pm
I am looking at maybe buying this class B van but I can't find any info about it on the WEB. It is very unique but wanted to try and find some more info on it before I buy.

Link to ad:
http://salem.craigslist.org/rvs/665728121.html


"1973 Hall Motor Home 23' Class "B". 25,000 miles on Dodge 360 engine (receipts available), generator, roof A.C., microwave, rear corner bed, all fiberglass construction with metal framing. $4,495.00 o.b.o."

Any Info anyone can tell me would be great.. Or any links to read more about them.. The RV dealer made it sould like there was a following for these but I can not even find a referance to another one.

----------------------------------

Crazy to think that was 3 years ago.. Within weeks of getting it I removed the carpet and laid a new sub floor to help firm it up.  I only have a few pictures of the process.

                                                         Before with Carpet


                                                   
                                        Carpet out old sub Floor.. Fitting new floor to go on top

Looks Like some one had to replace or get access.

Home Depot had a Sale on this flexable flooring. Also nice as it is tape down not gule incase I need to remove. This was a time consuming process.


Done! I used clear silcone to seal incase water gets spilled.


       Looking pretty good and now dirt in the motor home is not a big deal.

Also did the Door Panels

After all this we pretty much just cleaned it up and took it camping two times at water-loo http://www.co.linn.or.us/parks/parks/waterloo.html that summer. There was still alot needing to be done before we could really take this rig everywhere and summer was coming to an end.

Then life as it does sometimes got crazy and this project got put on ice. No work was done other then a moving it over to my parents house and doing a backyard camping trip for my young nephew's to get a tase of camping. Now life is much more settled and my focus is back on getting this rig fixed up. In fact its only 29 days until our first camping trip of the season. We plan to go to RiverBend http://www.co.linn.or.us/parks/parks/riverbend.html on the first weekend of June.

Since it has been sitting there are a number of engine related things that need to be done as well and fixing the generator, replacing house batteries ect. I am using this weekend to finish making a list and come up with a plan of action.

One Item I think we got figured out was what to do with this space. We wanted the option of a 2nd bed or a place  to sit while driving. Since we did not have the dinnet set that came with it. We looked at a lot of options but one idea was to use a boat louge seat.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/DELUXE-LOUNGE-SEAT/9729774?findingMethod=rr

I think this will fill our short term needs pretty nicely. I need to double check the measurements but I'm 99% sure this is the way to go. (Well keep the fold up table as we may change our minds later but heck it might even still be usefull).

Well thats it for a first post. Thanks for Reading! oh and wish me Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment